Home > Bilateral Relations
Q&As on Applying for Health Code or Health Declaration Form

1. How to request Health Code or Health Declaration Form?

1.1 The Chinese nationals (including the residents of Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan) can apply for the Health QR Code through the Wechat mini-program, which can be accessed by scanning the QR code below.

1.2 New Zealand citizens and other foreign nationals can log on the following website to apply for the Health Declaration Forms. https://hrhk.cs.mfa.gov.cn/H5/

For the sake of convenience, both Health Code and Health Declaration Form are referred to as health code hereinafter.

2. What documents are required for health code application?

2.1 Necessary documents:

1) A negative COVID PCR test report;

2) A negative IgM serology antibody test report;

3) A vaccination certificate for COVID-19 if you have been vaccinated;

For more information on how to request vaccination certificate, please visit New Zealand Ministry of Health website https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-vaccines/covid-19-requesting-proof-vaccination-overseas-travel

Alternatively, you may request an immunisation status from your GP, it must include the following information: your full name, date of birth, name of vaccine, date of the first and second doses were given, and place of given. It also must be signed and stamped by your GP or clinic.

Vaccination certificates have incorrect and insufficient information will be not acceptable. The hand writing COVID-19 Vaccine Record Card you received when you have been vaccinated is also not acceptable as a proof of vaccination.

4) If you have a positive IgM antibody test result after vaccination, you should complete the "Letter of Commitment on COVID-19 Vaccination" (See appendix);

5) Electronic ticket or flight itinerary bearing your full names and

detailed flight information and issued by airline company or travel agent.

2.2 Visas or other residence documents based on your nationality.

1) The Chinese nationals (including the residents of Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan) should upload their New Zealand visas or residence permits.The residents of Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR, and Taiwan should upload Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents, or Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents, or Chinese Travel Document.

2) New Zealand citizens should upload the information pages of their valid passports and valid Chinese visas issued after 28 March 2020, or holding Chinese residence permits for family reunion(Q1), personal matters (S1) and work (Z).

3) Nationals of the third countries should upload the information pages of their valid passports, and valid Chinese visas issued after 28 March 2020, or holding Chinese residence permits for family reunion(Q1), personal matters (S1) and work (Z).

3. How could I choose the date for the tests?

The validity of health code is counted on the basis of "sampling date +2 days". You should have the COVID PCR and IgM tests done 2 days before boarding on a China-bound flight. For example, if a flight departs on 3 June, then the earliest date to go for the tests is 1 June. If the sampling date is not available on the test reports, the earliest date as shown on the test reports will be taken as the sampling date.

People who have had vaccinated against COVID-19 should only undertake the pre-departure PCR and IgM antibody tests 14 days after completing the second dose of the vaccine. People who have been fully vaccinated must wait for 14 days before requesting for the health code or your request will not be accepted. Please arrange your vaccination appointments and travel plan ahead.

4. What are the requirements on the test reports?

The Chinese diplomatic and consular missions in New Zealand only accept the report on the nucleic acid test conducted with a nose or throat swab specimen (Nasopharyngeal Swab), and that on COVID IgM serology antibody with venepuncture blood sampling.

If you apply for the health code, you should submit the originals of your negative COVID PCR and IgM serology antibody test reports issued by a test facility. The reports must include your full name, date of birth, and date of tests (sampling), and test results, and name of the testing facility. Reports issued by a GP or a clinic (including Inbox reports) must distinctly state the name of the testing facility, and be signed by the GP or carry the stamp of the clinic.

Reports will not be accepted if any required information is missing or without the above-mentioned signatures or stamps. Nor will text messages indicating test results be accepted as reports.

5. What are the acceptable travel documents?

When applying for the health code, a New Zealand citizen or a citizen from the third countries, should submit a valid passport, and the passport number should match that which is shown on the test report, vaccine certificate, resident permit and flight itinerary.

A mainland Chinese citizen should submit a valid Chinese passport.

A resident of Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan should submit the corresponding Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents, or Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents, or Chinese Travel Document for the three regions respectively.

6. Do you have any tips for submission of personal information?

6.1 Applicants who are the Chinese citizens (including the residents of Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan) should put in their full names in Chinese as shown on travel documents as well as the travel document numbers. The residents of Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan should also upload a picture of the travel document.

6.2 You need to provide your mobile phone number in New Zealand in case additional information is needed.

6.3 You should submit the application of the health code to the mission whose consular service covers the the location of the testing facility, as shown below:

Chinese Embassy in New Zealand: Wellington, Manawatu-Wanganui, Hawke's Bay, Taranaki, Gisborne, Bay of Plenty

Chinese Consulate-General in Auckland: Auckland, Northland, Waikato

Chinese Consulate-General in Christchurch: South Island

7. What can be accepted as permits to stay in New Zealand?

7.1 Valid New Zealand visa

7.2 If you do not hold a valid New Zealand visa, one of the following documents is acceptable as the evidence of staying in New Zealand:

1) A movement record issued by Immigration New Zealand;

2) A utility bills bearing your full name issued by power, water or internet provider for over three months;

3) A rental tenancy agreement bearing your full name, or a document that can prove you are the owner of a property in New Zealand;

4) Other documents carrying your personal information and reaffirming your long term residence in New Zealand.

8. What if my New Zealand visa has expired?

If your New Zealand visa expired less than 12 months ago, you should upload the expired New Zealand visa together with a letter signed by yourself to explain the reason for the overstay.

If your New Zealand visa expired more than 12 months ago, please refer to Section 7.2.

9. Do I need to take the COVID PCR test and the IgM serology antibody test if I have been vaccinated against COVID-19?

Even after getting a COVID-19 vaccine, you are required to take the COVID PCR test and the IgM serology antibody test. You should also upload the vaccination certificate for COVID-19 regardless of the test results.

10. What should I do if I have not been vaccinated against COVID-19 but have tested positive for IgM antibody.

We suggest you to cancel your travel, and please consult the Chinese Embassy or Consulate-General in accordance with consular district jurisdiction.

11. What if I have been identified as a close contact of someone with COVID-19, or a probable case, or start showing the suspect symptoms of COVID-19?

Please follow the guideline set by the New Zealand Ministry of Health, seeking advice from public health professional or self-isolating. You can only undertake the PCR and IgM serology antibody test, and then request for the health code 28 days after you have completed self-isolation or you no longer showing any symptoms of coronavirus.

You must also provide your PCR testing report for Day 1, Day 4, and Day 7 for the duration of self-isolation when requesting for the health code.

12. If I have been vaccinated, do I still need to be quarantined upon arrival?

At the moment, all travelers arriving in China are subject to managed quarantine and relevant tests. The Disease Control and Prevention Office at the port of entry has the final interpretation of the quarantine requirements and types of tests.

13. Could the flight booking confirmation from a third-party agency be used as flight itinerary?

Flight Itinerary or e-ticket should be issued by the airline company, showing an international flight that departs from New Zealand and arrives in China. It must also contain your full name, flight number and departure and arrival dates. The flight booking confirmation without your name and details of the flight, or in the form of a text message, will not be accepted.

14. What shall I do if I made a mistake in submitting the materials for the health code, or the application were declined?

You will be notified of the reasons for any failure of application through the Wechat mini program or H5 website. You are requested to re-submit the application for the health code after making due adjustments as required.

15. When should I upload the application for health code?

You are advised to submit the application through a proper platform upon receiving the test reports and pay close attention to the outcome of the application. If the application has been declined (shown in red colour), please provide information as shown on the notification and make the request again.

All requests for the health code will be reviewed manually, and may take a longer time to process. Please have all required documents ready and request for the health code as soon as possible. If your flights depart after midnight or in the morning, please submit your request before no late than 8pm on the previous day. For flights depart on other times, please submit your request no less than 5 hours before the scheduled departure time.

Please make sure that you have received the green health code before going to airport. To avoid missing the flight, it is strongly recommended that you get the health code before going to airport.

16. Do I need to bring the hard copies of my test reports when boarding flight to China after receiving the green health codes?

You are recommended to bring the hard copies of the negative test reports and vaccination certificates in case of inspection.

17. Do infants have to take COVID-19 PCR test?

New Zealand Ministry of Health has not set any specific age requirements for COVID-19 PCR test. In real practice, it may be difficult to take samples from infants. Therefore, children under the age of 2 (24 months) are exempted from taking COVID-19 PCR test and IgM serology antibody test provided that the children are boarding direct flight to China from New Zealand and that the accompanying adult has received a valid green health code. Children over the age of 2 (24 months) but under the age of 5 (60 months) years old are exempted from taking IgM serology antibody test, but are required to apply for the health code by providing a negative PCR test report and other required documents. Children over the age of 5 (60 months) years old will need to do both PCR and IgM serology antibody test.

18. Could I fly to China via a third country?

Given the current situation of COVID-19 pandemic across the world, international travelling is exposed to high risk of cross-infection of the coronavirus. In order to avoid getting infected during transiting through other countries, you are requested to choose a non-stop flight from New Zealand to China, instead of travelling to China via a third country. Travelers from countries with direct flights to China must not transit through New Zealand.


Embassy of the People's Republic of China in New Zealand                  

Chinese Consulate-General in Auckland                                

Chinese Consulate-General in Christchurch                              

Suggest to a Friend: